This policy applies to information relating to identifiable individuals, in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013.
Vulcan Catering Equipment is obliged to comply with The Protection of Personal Information Act (‘POPI’) and to follow good practice.
POPI requires Vulcan Catering Equipment to inform data subjects as to how their Personal Information is used, disclosed and destroyed.
Vulcan Catering Equipment guarantees its commitment to protecting data subjects privacy and ensuring that their Personal Information is used appropriately, transparently, securely and in accordance with applicable laws.
The purpose of this policy is to protect the organization from the consequences of a breach of its responsibilities.
This Policy sets out how Vulcan Catering Equipment deals with data subjects Personal Information and, in addition, the purposes said information is used for. This Policy is made available on our master list.
The POPI Act states that “Personal Information may only be processed if, given the purpose for which it is processed, it is adequate, relevant and not excessive.”
2. THE PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
Vulcan Catering Equipment collects and processes Personal Information pertaining to employees, customer and suppliers referred to as data subjects. The type of information will depend on the need for which it is collected and will be processed for that purpose only. Whenever possible, we will inform what information they are required to provide us with and what information is optional. Examples of the Personal Information we collect include but are not limited to:
- Personal information covered by POPI includes details of an employee’s address, telephone number, email address, salary and bank account, e-mails about an incident, a supervisor’s notebook, an individual employee’s personnel file, leave records, performance reviews, academic records and leave information
- Customer information such as name, telephone number, address, bank records and email address.
- Supplier information such as names, email address, phone numbers, physical address. Organograms for contact support.
3. HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED
Personal Information will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected and intended. This would include:
- Providing products or services to customers for the purposes of developing and facilitating business objectives;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings;
- Providing communications in respect of Vulcan Catering Equipment and regulatory matters that may affect data subjects; and
- In connection with and to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
According to Section 10 of POPI, Personal Information may only be processed if certain conditions are met for Vulcan Catering Equipment processing the Personal Information. These are listed below:
- Data Subjects consents to the processing – consent is obtained from data subjects during day to day engagement;
- Processing is necessary – Personal information is required to facilitate the provision of services to data subjects;
- Processing complies with an obligation imposed by law on Vulcan Catering Equipment;
- Processing protects a legitimate interest of the data subject – it is in data subjects best interests to have access to full and appropriate services;
- Processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of Vulcan Catering Equipment – in order to provide our data subjects with services; we need certain Personal Information from data subjects.
4. INFORMATION OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing, publishing and maintaining a POPI Policy which addresses all relevant provisions of the POPI Act, including but not limited to the following:
- Reviewing the POPI Act and periodic updates as published;
- Ensuring that periodic communication awareness on POPI Act responsibilities takes place;
- Ensuring that Privacy Notices for internal and external purposes are developed and published.
5. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We may share data subjects Personal Information with, and obtain information about data subjects from third parties for the reasons already discussed in Clause 3 above.
- We may also disclose data subjects information where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of applicable legislation, the law or where it may be necessary to protect our rights.
6. SAFEGUARDING DATA SUBJECTS INFORMATION
It is a requirement of POPI to adequately protect the Personal Information we hold and to avoid unauthorised access and use of your Personal Information. We continuously review our security controls and processes to ensure that your Personal Information is secure.
The following procedures are in place in order to protect your Personal Information:
- This policy is in place throughout Vulcan Catering Equipment
- Employees are required to sign Confidentiality Agreements which are considered annexures to their Employment Contracts;
- Archived information is stored in the IT Department and data subjects information is archived at a third party provider who is also governed by POPI and with whom Vulcan Catering Equipment has a Service Level Agreements;
- Hard copy files are stored at secure premises and are destroyed within the lawfully proscribe time periods;
- Vulcan Catering Equipment’s internal server hard drives are protected by firewalls;
- Consent to process information is obtained from data subject (or a person who is authorised to provide the Personal Information) during engagement.
7. ACCESS AND CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Data Subjects have the right to request access to the Personal Information we hold about them.
- Data Subjects also have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete their Personal Information on reasonable grounds.
- Head Office Details
Telephone Number: 011 249 8500
Fax Number: 011 249 8564
Postal Address: P.O. Box 60188, Langlaagte 2012
Physical Address: 2172 Albertina Sisulu Road Industria 2012
8. RETENTION OF DOCUMENTS:
Vulcan Catering Equipment is bound by legislation to retain documentation for a minimum period. These documents will contain personal information relating but not limited to:
- Accounting Records,
- Sales Journals,
- Contacts and Agreements,
- Employee Records including Pension Records
- Electronic Data,
- Statutory Records,
- Tax and VAT records.
The record retention period is outlined in the retention of documents policy supplied by Metrofile.
9. AMENDMENTS TO THIS POLICY
- Amendments to this Policy will take place on an ad hoc basis when required by legislation.
- Data Subjects are advised to inform Vulcan Catering Equipment periodically of any personal information changes.
- Where material changes take place data subjects will be notified directly.